Beer was brewed on the property as early as the end of the 17th century. With an annual beer production of 300 to 450 hl, the then owner, Hans Höfler, was the second-largest brewer in Erlangen's old town between 1696 and 1698.
After numerous changes of ownership, Christian Stahl purchased the brewery in 1812, which remained in the family for almost 100 years as a medium-sized business. In 1873, the neighboring buildings at Pfarrstrasse 10 and 12 were added, and the inn "Zum schwarzen Adler" became known among students as the "Stahlei." Because the brewery did not participate in exports, it fell behind its competitors in Erlangen. As part of the consolidation process in the brewing industry, Hermann Stahl also privatized the Stahl brewery in 1910 and merged it with the neighboring Erste Erlanger Aktienbrauerei (First Erlanger Stock Brewery). The latter continued to use only the vaulted cellars; the brewhouse was converted into a residential building in 1912/13.
Station 2 - Brauerei Stahl
before 1700-1910